Search Statements

Wednesday, January 2, 2013

Statement of Bishop Kevin C. Rhoades

Statement of Bishop Kevin C. Rhoades 

January 1, 2013 

This past Sunday, Bishop John M. D'Arcy called me from St. Elizabeth Hospital in Brighton, Mass., to share with me the news that doctors had found cancer in his lung and brain.

Bishop D'Arcy, while home for Christmas, had experienced some symptoms that had necessitated his admission to the hospital for testing. Bishop D'Arcy informed with me that he was feeling “pretty normal,” despite the discovery of cancer.

Our beloved Bishop D'Arcy shared with me his deep trust in the Lord as he embraces this cross in union with Jesus. I ask that Bishop D'Arcy be especially remembered in prayer at Masses throughout the diocese. I invite the faithful of our diocese to pray for Bishop D'Arcy as he undergoes treatment for the cancer.

I would also like to assure all who love Bishop D’Arcy of my prayers for you as we walk with him in his treatment.

May our Lord bestow his healing grace upon Bishop D'Arcy and grant him strength and inner peace. And may our Blessed Mother, Health of the Sick, intercede for Bishop D'Arcy and accompany him in facing this trial.

Most Reverend Kevin C. Rhoades

Bishop of Fort Wayne – South Bend