Search Statements

Thursday, May 2, 2013

On the death of Most Reverend Joseph McFadden, Bishop of Harrisburg

STATEMENT OF MOST REVEREND KEVIN C. RHOADES, BISHOP OF FORT WAYNE – SOUTH BEND

MAY 2, 2013

I received this morning the very sad news of the death of Bishop Joseph McFadden who succeeded me as Bishop of Harrisburg.  I share the deep feeling of loss of the faithful of the Diocese of Harrisburg during this difficult time.  Bishop McFadden was a good and gentle shepherd after the heart of Jesus, the Good Shepherd.  He served the Church with great faith and love as a priest and bishop.

Personally, I will miss Bishop McFadden.  I remember with gratitude our years serving together as brother bishops in Pennsylvania.  He was a gracious and generous man who poured out his life in service of others.  I will miss the times we would go out for dinner during our U.S. bishops’ meetings, great opportunities to catch up on our ministries and on the news of the Diocese of Harrisburg.

I and the people of the Diocese of Fort Wayne-South Bend will be praying for the faithful of the Diocese of Harrisburg during this time of mourning.  My heart goes out to all the priests and people of my beloved home diocese.

We are in the midst of the joyful season of Easter.  I pray that the Risen Lord will welcome Bishop McFadden into the joy of heaven.  May this good and faithful servant of the Lord rest in peace!